Wednesday, August 7, 2013

This is Tech Support???

I admit it! I am not a tech savvy person. I am often perplexed by our TV remote, find our game system to be intimidating and often turn to my children for help with my phone. But I have to say I a confounded by the fact that I am often more technically literate than the so called Tech Support Reps I with whom I have to interact with for help. Here's the latest example of a quality Tech Support conversation:

"Hello you've reached technical support, how can I assist you?"

"Hi, my name is Amber, I have cell phone model #----- it's a touch screen phone and the touch screen is no longer responding."

"Ok let me get a little information from you. What's your name and what kind of phone do you have?"

"Yes, my name is Amber and my phone is model #------."

"Ok that appears to be a touch screen model, what seems to be the problem?"

"The touch screen is not responding"

"What portion of the screen isn't working?"

"The part you touch."

"Have you tried turning it off, waiting 30 seconds and  then turning it back on?"

"Yes. I even took out the battery and kept it out all night then put it back in this morning."

"Ok here's what we're going to try. First turn the phone off, wait 30 seconds, then turn it back on."

"hhmmm ok. That's done."

"Is the screen working now?"

"No"

" Alright. Now try removing the battery, let it sit for 60 seconds, then put the battery back in and power the phone up again."

"Ooookkkk."

"Does the screen work now?"

"Nope, just like after leaving the battery out all night as I mentioned before it still doesn't work."

"We will need to try a hard boot next. This will erase any data you have on your phone. Would you like to take some time to retrieve that data and call us back?"

"Well since it's a touch screen model and the touch screen isn't working it seems to me it would be impossible to retrieve that data, so I guess no."

"Yes ma'am. So you'd like to proceed with the hard boot."

"Yes."

The tech proceeds to give instructions on pushing a series of buttons which causes the phone to reset and the conversation continues:

"What is the phone doing at this time?"

"It's still powering up"

"Alright take your time."

"Are you talking to the phone? Because I'm just waiting on the phone to reboot."

"Yes ma'am."

"The phone has rebooted and power is on, the screen is still not responding."

"It would appear you have a non-responsive touch screen ma'am."

"How did you determine that?"

"Well....

"Never mind. What can we do now?"

"You can send the phone to our service center for service. This may cause a loss of any data you have on the phone so please take time to retrieve the data before sending your phone."

"Would that be the same data I lost in the reboot that I couldn't access because of the non-responsive touch screen?"

"Ma'am?"

"Never mind, can you just give me the instructions for sending it in?"





No comments:

Post a Comment