Saturday, August 10, 2013

Battle of the Bulge

I've been fighting this battle pretty much since the birth of my first child. It started out as a small war waged against a noticeable but not overwhelming enemy. But as the years had passed and our family had grown and grown and grown again, so had the size, weight, and over all immensity of the challenger. There were times when it would shrink and I would feel as if I had a handle on it but other times the size would be so overwhelming all I could do was sit and cry. I worked hard to get back to what it was like before kids. Sometimes with help, sometimes on my own. Some weeks I would make huge progress, keeping up with the pledge I had made to myself and conquering mountains I never knew I could. And others I'd fall back into bad habits or lazy behaviors. I was just too tired, felt too busy, or just didn't want to work at it for another minute. In those times (which might only have been a day or two) all the work of previous weeks would be undone leaving me right back where I started or worse with a bigger load than I had before. I'd lie to myself often saying "Next week I'll do better, I'll stick to my plan." But more often than not I find it would only last a few days before I began to feel overwhelmed and looking for excuses not to follow through. In recent years I have made much progress though. I've found that following a few basic guidelines I can make a difference and it's made this battle a little less challenging. So here are my tips:

1. Come up with a manageable and workable plan. A good plan will not only help you conquer but will also help you maintain. And get the family involved. Remember they helped cause the problem it only seems logical that they participate in the solution.

2. Ask for and require help. Again your family should be there to support you and provide assistance. This is just as much for their benefit as it is yours. Older kids are great resources and younger kids love being included.

3. Work on smaller goals. Do a little every day. Every little bit helps so even if you're short on time try to make a small amount of progress. Trying to take care of it all at once never works and ends up leaving you too exhausted to keep up which usually results in the enemy making gains.

4. Stick to the basics. Don't let yourself be sweet talked by gimmicky products. They are expensive and rarely work like they claim.

5. Accept the fact that there may always be a little something left to do. That's what having kids does to you. It's ok. Don't be discouraged.


Using these 5 steps I've found that even though sometimes I still slip up and find that my bulge has grown once again I am easily able to get back on track and stay there. Now go battle those bulging laundry hampers, find the bottom of those weighed down baskets of clothes, TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR LAUNDRY!

No comments:

Post a Comment