Sunday, December 4, 2011

Bad Luck

Well I'm pretty sure I have some of the worst luck around.  Just look at my history with household appliances. I'm on my second washer, second dryer, had a refrigerator go out, a dishwasher quit working, moved into a house with a bum air conditioner at the beginning of a long hot summer, had a well pump almost fall into the well,  a sump pump quit in the middle of the night, an oven quit working the night before Thanksgiving while baking my famous rolls and the list could go on. This weekend my luck proved to be just as bad. On Friday night around 9pm I was driving home from 3 hours at my sons' basketball practices with all five kids in tow. We were at the end of a long day and were ready to get home and into our p.j.s. Only one thing stood in our way.....the drive home. Now we live less than 10 min from where we were. It's a path we take frequently, especially when basketball season begins. But on this night that quick drive home turned in to a 40 min ordeal.

Just moments after starting down the state road I hear a loud POP followed by a thud, thud,thud. Lucky for me (or maybe not) I had experienced a blown tire before so I knew instantly to get off the road and assess the situation. Now had this been several years ago I probably would have kept driving to see if the thudding sound got worse before pulling off.So I quickly pulled into the apartment complex, got out of the car and sure enough my back left tire was flat. And when I say flat I don't just mean a little low on air. I would say that there wasn't any air left in that tire at all. In fact the whole car was tipping in that direction. I drive an expedition by the way so I'm sure you can imagine the dramatic look of that scene.

Now I'm sure those who know me are thinking what's the big deal, your husband's a mechanic just call him and have him come fix it. Well unfortunately that evening he was home not feeling good, hence why I was at practice with all 5 kids. So I couldn't call him for assistance. I am however blessed with a great extended family that lives in the area. My sister-in-law, her husband, and my father-in-law quickly came to my rescue. The load us up and took us home, deciding the car was safe and could be dealt with in the morning.

Here comes the best part. The next morning my husband and his friend head over to the car to determine the damage done to the tire. When they get it off the car , in the tire they find not a nail or piece of something but a pair of pliers. Now I ask you who else but me could run over a pair of pliers just right to get them jammed all the way up in a tire. They weren't just kinda in there, only about a inch of the handle was sticking out of the tire. (If I think of it I'll have my husband take a picture.)

Really though ......pliers???

No comments:

Post a Comment